Tuesday 21 February 2012

A(nother) new bat

Like the 24 carat mug that I am, I will shortly be taking delivery of my fourth bat with still weeks to go until the start of my third season in senior cricket. I'm just doing my bit to help small businesses in these difficult times...

Regular readers of the blog* will have read about my frustration in not being able to find a light bat. I got into a conversation on Twitter with the great guys at Aedos Cricket about why this was and they said it may be possible to make a special light bat for me. I umm-ed and ahh-ed about it for a while but eventually I weakened and decided to go for it. Seriously though, this is absolutely, positively the last bat I'm going to buy for at least the next, ooh... 12 months or so.

Probably.

Aedos are a new company so the odd minor teething problem with the website wasn't unexpected, but I really can't speak highly enough of their customer service. They've been so helpful and I really hope they make a success of their business. The good looks of their kit suggests they should do, but I never cease to be amazed at just how many niche cricket manufacturers there seem to be around these days. I suppose if they each manage to tick over a small profit there are worse ways to make a living.

As for the bat itself, I'm assured it's a very good piece of willow, weighing in at "about 2lb 5oz". I really can't wait to see what it's like, and then begins the process of giving it a bit of oil, knocking it in, putting the facing on and gripping it the way I like (half an octopus grip under the bottom hand, flat grip over the whole handle). I'm going to start using black grips for a little retro feel, and I'll probably remove the stickers on the edges too - I edge so many they never last long anyway - although I'll leave the main stickers on as they're very pretty. I'm not sure being associated with my batting is going to do Aedos's reputation much good though...

*hello to both of you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good to see your liking your Aedos bat ive got one aswell, love it really pleased pads and gloves are great to .

Anonymous said...

It's absolutely stunning gear, surely worth a look!

Post a Comment